Friday, June 24, 2011

Swimming Lessons and Community Garden

We put Jacob in swimming lessons this year with the hopes that he can overcome his fear of water, and gain some confidence that he won't drown. He's done a great job for being as afraid as he is, and has even put his head under. Bridget loves the water, and is devastated every morning that she can't go too. They have to be 4 before they'll let them start, so she has informed me that she's 6. I told her she could take special swimming lessons in the bath tub, which she was pretty happy about.

Jacob is the one farthest to the right.

Bridget's special swimming lessons.

There is a community garden for the first time in our town , and we've been having fun with it. They didn't have it ready until almost June, but we're happy to have a spot, and hope that we'll have enough summer to get a harvest.

Our plot is the one in the foreground. They are 20x20, but they guy gave me an extra 8 feet or so. We've got tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, green beans, peas, cucumbers, cantaloupe, watermelon, yellow crookneck squash, pumpkin, and sweet corn. I planted extra of everything because I fully expect lazy people to steal stuff.

It's also been fun to see how people do their plots. Everyone does it a little different. I just did boring rows, but maybe next year I'll do something more fancy.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Bridget looks so much like you in that pic! Looks like you're having fun...you'll have to post pics of your garden as it grows. It's fun to keep learning and improving, only my garden is now wilting in the 100plus weather.