I'm so happy for the extra warm spring we've had. It's let me get out and garden earlier than normal this year. We finished planting the garden over the weekend, and yesterday I got my first harvest of spinach and lettuce. (I planted those back in March) The kids really love the fresh spinach...go figure. It's a good thing, because we have plenty.
I'm trying to grow a lot of things vertically this year, and they've asked us to put flowers in our garden plots to help out the bees. No problem, I love flowers. So the long sticks you see have morning glory and black-eyed susan vine planted around them. The sticks that make up the tripods have armenian cucumbers, and pole beans growing up them. I also have peas growing between 2 sticks in the very back of the picture.
The things growing between the T-posts are my tomatoes. I've given up on tomato cages. They're pretty worthless. They always bend when I try to put them in the soil, and the tomatoes outgrow them and flop over every year. So this year I'm trying a system similar to the Florida Weave. I need to tighten up the twine, but you get the basic idea. As the tomatoes grow, I'll add another line of twine every 4 inches or so.
David made a better watering system for us this year. Mini gated pipe! It does a really good job, and waters the garden more quickly. It also saturates it better too, so we shouldn't have stunted plants in the middle like last year. You may notice that the garden is twice as big as last year. Let's call it "imminent domain". Just kidding. The plots around us weren't being used, so we asked if we could garden one more next to us. We've got pumpkins and winter squash growing in there, along with cabbage and eggplant, and some flowers and herbs and other random things. I love the growing season!
2 comments:
Looks great Tracie! thanks for putting the pictures up. Way to conquer the community! (garden)
Looks great! Hope you get an awesome harvest this year. I had forgotten about the weave. We just planted and caged ours today. Please remind me next year!
Post a Comment