Friday, July 16, 2010

Early Morning Visitor




This morning I had the windows open to let the fresh air in, when I heard some peeping. Thankful I hadn't let the cats out of the shed yet, I grabbed my glasses and looked out the window to find a baby duck running around in our yard. I have no idea how it got there, seeing how the closest canal is 4 blocks away. Thinking that it needed some redirecting, I grabbed a box and towel, and ran after it.


You wouldn't think those little things could move very fast seeing how they have teeny legs and webbed feet, but let me tell you, it could run fast. It ended up jumping into the neighbor's window well where it couldn't get out, so I was able to grab it. The kids thought it was the coolest thing ever, and loved the adventure of walking over to the canal to set it free. Jacob really wanted to keep it, but I told him we didn't have a good home for it, and our cats would probably eat it. I told him that maybe one day we'll live somewhere where we'll have the right kind of place for a duck. He seemed satisfied with that.

4 comments:

Tim Strong said...

Remember the book called "Are you my mother?"

Katie said...

What a fun adventure! Also, there is another great book for kids called "Make Way for Ducklings" about some lost ducks. Good book.

haha, and my little word verification thing is "sobirdi" this is a rather "birdi" post.

grandmajane said...

How fun! Reminds me of the time when I went into IFA and Garrett Dignan was with me. A shipment of baby chicks and ducklings had just arrived, and it was hard getting him from the cage where they were keeping them. So cute!

Erik said...

Quack