Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Good People

It's been a busy week. We finished tearing the shingles off the roof, and have removed most of the redwood bark from the attic space. We covered the roof in plastic because it was going to rain, but the winds tore it too pieces. David had been talking to the maintenance man at the hospital, asking his advice about how to do the attic space, so he came over to take a quick look at our roof. He noticed the plastic, and then offered to go get his own tarps and nail them down over the plastic so our house wouldn't get rain in it. He brought a friend and they did it in 2 hours. Super nice guys!


I've also been super busy with canning. I got 41 quarts of plums off our tree, and the next day our home teachers gave us a huge box of sweet corn (they had planted some of their field in sweet corn), so I ended up canning 20 pints of corn. It was the first time I've used a pressure canner, and I managed not to blow us up. I think I should get a gold star.

2 days later, our neighbor brought us the peaches off his tree, and I got 21 quarts out of that, and 11 jars of peach jelly. This morning I picked the golden plums off our tree, so I'll be canning again, and our peaches haven't ripened yet, so those are still to come. Combine all that with a 2 year-old, a fussy 3 month-old, helping David clean up shingles and insulation, mowing the lawn, making bread, doing laundry, and a run into town...I'm pooped!

It's a good kind of pooped though. We got a lot done, and we are really grateful to have such kind people in this town. I tell you, I never want to go back to big city life. Give me small towns with big hearts any day!

5 comments:

(me)linda said...

Way to nab the free fruit! Awesome! I love canning. Mostly because of the sense of accomplishment that comes with seeing all the jars full on your shelves. I also love all the memories of growing up that canning seems to stir up for me. Those were some good times in the Quigley kitchen.

grandmajane said...

Way to beef up your food storage, Tracie! "Happiness is Homemade"!

Kendell said...

I like the new "blue" roof

Stephanie said...

I'm so impressed! I have to say, I'm jealous of your kind neighbors also... I have yet to can anything. I can still only eat imported peaches from up north. But I have kept some flowers alive all summer...

Amy E. said...

Wow, Tracie, don't make the rest of us look bad. That is impressive!! The closest I've been to canning is helping my friend, and I made freezer jam...you and Megan and your canning, you may inspire me for next season...